Called "one of the world's reigning strategy gurus" by the Academy of International Business, Michael Enright is a leading expert on competitiveness, regional economic development, and international business strategy. Enright joined the University of Hong Kong as Professor of Business Administration in 1996 after six years as a professor at the Harvard Business School. He also directs the Asia-Pacific Competitiveness Program at the Hong Kong Institute of Economics and Business Strategy and was a Founding Director and current Advisory Board Member of The Competitiveness Institute (a global professional body with members in 40 nations).
As a researcher, Professor Enright has directed major reviews of the competitiveness of 20 different economies on five continents and has co-authored eight books or monographs on related topics. Enright's work on competitiveness and on the economies of Hong Kong and China has appeared in the Harvard Business Review, WorldLink, the Far Eastern Economic Review, Asian Business, Asia Inc, the South China Morning Post, and the Business Times, among others. It also has been featured in the Economist, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Asian Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, the South China Morning Post, the Straits Times, Business Times, and many others. Current research projects include multi-year studies of multinational strategies in the Asia-Pacific, China's international competitiveness, and regional development in Greater China.
As an advisor, Professor Enright has consulted to companies, governments, and multilateral organizations on business strategy, international competitiveness, and economic development and has appeared in more than 30 countries as an invited speaker and executive educator.
Professor Enright received his A.B. (with honors), his M.B.A. (with distinction), and his Ph.D. (in Business Economics, Dean's Doctoral Fellow) from Harvard University. He is a non-executive director of Shui On Construction and Materials, Shui On Land, and Johnson Electric.
Memberships and Advisory Groups
Academy of International Business, member of board of advisors of The Competitiveness Institute (a global professional institute for academics, consultants, and economic development professionals), advisory board member for IMA-Asia (an economic forecasting and corporate membership organization); former member of the Hong Kong Government's Commission on Strategic Development, Hong Kong Government's Business Promotion Strategy Unit
Publications and Related Outputs : Articles
With W. John Hofmann and Peter Wood, "Get Ready, Here China Inc. Comes," Wall Street Journal, February 2010.
- With W. John Hoffmann and Peter Wood, "What China's Overseas Direct Investment Means," AmCham China, China Brief, 01/2010
- "Rethinking China's Competitiveness," Far Eastern Economic Review, 168, 9, November 2005, 16-21.
- With Edith Scott, "China's Quiet Powerhouse," Far Eastern Economic Review, 168, 5, May 2005, 27-34.
- With Edith Scott, "How to create a global powerhouse," South China Morning Post, (February 17, 2003).
- With Edith Scott, "As the delta booms, Hong Kong must adapt," South China Morning Post, (January 26, 2003).
- With Edith Scott, "Why you shouldn't bet against the Pearl River Delta region," South China Morning Post, (December 12, 2002).
- With Edith Scott, "Why a bridge to Zhuhai and Macau would benefit all," South China Morning Post, (November 30, 2002).
- With Edith Scott, "Boom time on our doorstep," South China Morning Post, (November 25, 2002).
- "Enter the Dragon," Asia Inc, (September 2001).
- "From Hand to Head," Asia Inc, (October 2001).
- "Asia Wired," Asia Inc, (November 2001).
- "Reform, What Reform," Asia Inc, (February 2002).
- With Edith Scott "Regional Headquarters in the Asia-Pacific," Business Asia, (December 11, 2000).
- "Hong Kong's Regional Roles and Competitiveness" in Hong Kong Update, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C., (July 1998), pp.7-8.
- "Hong Kong: Down, but not out," The Business Times, (June 30, 1998): 14.
- "The Hong Kong Advantage: The Managerial Challenges," The Hong Kong Manager, (3rd Quarter, 1997): 8-12.
- "Are You Bullish on Hong Kong?," The Business Times, (June 30, 1997): 9.
- "Even more than before, it's worth betting on Hong Kong," Asian Business, (June-August 1997): 8-11.
- "Hong Kong will prosper," interview with Michael Enright, Newsweek, International edition, (April 21, 1997): 60.
- "Opposites Attract," Far Eastern Economic Review, (April 17, 1997): 34.
- "Building on Hong Kong's combinations for success," South China Morning Post, (April 7, 1997): Business Post, 8.
- With Edith Scott Saavedra "Beyond Economics: A Medium-Term Assessment of Venezuela's Prospects for Growth," Business Venezuela, (January 1996).
- With Edith Scott Saavedra "Steal This Message," Business Venezuela, (January 1995).