Admission, Application and Tuition Fee
The basic qualification necessary for admission to research postgraduate studies is a good honours degree from the University of Hong Kong or an equivalent qualification from a comparable institution. Applicants for the four-year PhD degree should have a Bachelor's degree at second class honours upper division or above and a taught Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree at first class honours. Applicants for the three-year PhD degree should hold a Bachelor's degree at second class honours upper division or above and a research Master's degree. Qualifying examinations to test the applicants’ abilities to follow the prescribed courses and/or interviews may be conducted.
Applicants who wish to be admitted to higher degrees on the basis of a qualification from a university or a comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English are required to obtain the following:
|(a) a minimum score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (taken within a two-year period) as specified below:|
- An overall score of 550 or above
- An overall score of 80 or above
(b) a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic module) (taken within a two-year period).
Since places for research postgraduate studies are limited, it may not be possible to offer admission to all qualified applicants.
Applicants to the School of Business and the School of Economics and Finance are required to send the official score report of GRE or GMAT, taken within five years. (Institution code: GRE - 2482; GMAT - FS2-WL-48)
School of Business http://www.business.hku.hk
- The School offers full-time PhD programmes only.
- The School will only consider applications submitted for the Main Round of admission. Applications received for the First Clearing Round and Second Clearing Round will only be considered under special circumstances.
For applicants who are interested in applying for the PhD programme in the School of Business, it is not a must for them to contact potential supervisors to discuss their proposed research areas at the application stage. All applications will be considered by the School and a successful applicant will be assigned the most suitable supervisor(s) who has/have expertise in the applicant's research area.
School of Economics and Finance http://www.sef.hku.hk
- The School will admit full-time PhD applicants only. Students applying for part-time PhD or MPhil study will only be considered under special circumstances.
- The School will only consider applications submitted for the Main Round of admission. Applications received in the First Clearing Round will only be considered under special circumstances. Applications received in the Second Clearing Round normally will NOT be considered.
- Applicants who are interested in applying for the PhD programme in the School of Economics and Finance are not required to contact potential supervisors at the application stage. All applications will be considered by the School and a successful applicant will be assigned a supervisor(s) who has/have expertise in the applicant's research area.
- Once applicants have been admitted to our PhD programme with either economics or finance as the proposed field of study, they are NOT allowed to change their field of study throughout their study period.
Ms Annie Lam
Tel: 3917 5750
Fax: 2548 1152
|Application Round||Application Period|
|Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF)*||
Initial application to the Research Grants Council (RGC): September 1 – noon of December 1, 2016
|Main Round||September 1 – December 1 , 2016|
|* For further details of the HKPF Scheme, please visit:
Applicants are advised to apply early. For more details, please refer to the Graduate School website at: http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/prospective-students/how-to-apply or visit its office.
Graduate School Office
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
For the academic year 2016-17, the tuition fee for full-time PhD programme is HK$42,100 p.a. (subject to revision).